Diatomaceous Earth is made of diatoms which are smashed fossilized algae from fresh water. Having a talc-like feeling, the sharp blade-like edges cut open and penetrate the pest’s exoskeleton and causes it to dehydrate on the outside. While on inside when the insect eats the powder, which is highly porous and dry, takes the moisture out of the insect. DE must be dry to be effective. In addition, insects will not become immune to DE. A big warning must be given, beneficial insects will be affected as well. So be careful with this powder.
Particles that are microscopic will kill both inside and outside the pest’s body.
Here is a list of pest’s that DE will kill. Place the powder in crevices and cracks around the home and this should catch them at their homes.
- Carpet Beetles
Living Areas and Kitchens
A slight layer of the powder placed behind and underneath furniture, windowsills, appliances, and doorways should hit them in your home.
Garages, Basements, and Attics
To end their breeding make sure to place it anywhere they may nest.
Mattresses and Beds
Bedbugs can be eliminated if you spread the powder all over the mattress and bed area.
Patios and the Exterior of The House
Lets stop the pest’s before they enter the home by using around windows, outdoor areas, and entryways.
- Do not heat this DE as it negates the effectiveness. To see how truly small these particles are the size is approximately 0.000472441 inches.
- It is also used for the storage of grain as it prevents the grain from caking. The FDA has given it OK to use in this area.
- Research cannot verify the rumor that is good for a dewormer in animals. However, farmers do add it to the animal feed to stop caking.
- Hydroponic gardens of some gardeners use it as a growing media.
- Bonsai growers are known to use it as a media. Some use it in pots at 100% media and some just add it as an additive. Within a garden for growing vegetables the added Diatomaceous Earth is good for water retention, holds nutrients, allows good oxygen circulation, and drains well.